Researchers monitor whether or not wearable health units resembling Fitbit can detect atrial fibrillation (AFib).
As of 2019, there have been 28 million energetic customers of the bodily exercise tracker, Fitbit,1 and a minimum of 19% of Individuals owned a wearable exercise tracker.2 Fitbit units are fashionable health trackers, and the marketplace for exercise monitoring units is just anticipated to develop. The forecast for wearables exercise tracker shipments worldwide is anticipated to achieve 631.7 million shipments by 2024.3
Often, exercise trackers resembling Fitbit are worn on the wrist like a watch. There are a lot of completely different fashions of Fitbit units. Relying on the kind, the wearables can monitor a wide range of bodily information, resembling train, depth, inactivity, steps taken, coronary heart fee, blood strain, and even quantity and high quality of sleep.
Fitbits use completely different monitoring sensors to measure bodily information. Most wearables use accelerometers or gyroscopes to measure exercise ranges. World positioning programs (GPS) and barometers are additionally used to precisely measure exercise and motion. The completely different sensors all have differing ranges of accuracy, however don’t use as a lot battery life.4
Exercise trackers additionally measure well being information resembling coronary heart fee. Coronary heart charges are usually measured by an electrocardiogram (ECG) or a photoplethysmogram (PPG). ECG sensors measure the guts’s electrical exercise to find out coronary heart charges. The ECG sensors mostly present in exercise trackers worn on the wrist should not as correct as these decided from a chest-strap sensor. PPG sensors measure the change in blood vessel quantity to find out coronary heart charges. Research have proven that each sensors have acceptable accuracy when put next with medical ECG measurements.4
Exercise trackers will also be used to measure blood strain, fluid electrolytes, and cardiac output, however should not generally obtainable in wristband type.
Healthcare practitioners rapidly realized the potential worth of health trackers as a method to observe well being situations. As a result of they supply a extra correct evaluation of an individual’s exercise ranges, healthcare practitioners might depend on information from the well being trackers as an alternative of foggy recollections. Knowledge on train depth would now not be subjective however may very well be quantified for actual time evaluation. Health trackers even have worth as motivators of wholesome behaviors and will help wearers set and attain their health objectives.
As a result of coronary heart illness and heart-related well being considerations make up the highest three causes of demise globally (WHO), healthcare practitioners are particularly eager to make full use of their information. Bodily exercise trackers like Fitbit have nice potential to determine troublesome to detect well being situations.
One such widespread, however troublesome to detect situation is atrial fibrillation (AFib). Atrial fibrillation is an irregular heartbeat. It happens when the higher chambers of the heartbeat irregularly, out of sync with the decrease chambers5 AFib can result in stroke or coronary heart failure (coronary heart.org). AFib impacts as much as 34 million folks worldwide however is troublesome to detect.6 Usually folks experiencing AFib don’t present any outward signs.
Due to the prevalence and the recognition of exercise trackers, healthcare practitioners puzzled can Fitbit detect AFib? To find out can Fitbit detect AFib, healthcare practitioners at Fitbit carried out a large-scale medical trial in 2020 known as the Fitbit Coronary heart Examine.7
Members within the Fitbit Coronary heart Examine wore Fitbit exercise trackers and reported coronary heart information. Any participant that confirmed indicators of AFib was alerted and related with a healthcare practitioner for a digital appointment. Fitbits’ sensors use photoplethysmography (PPG) know-how to measure blood circulation and coronary heart charges. From this, the Fitbit algorithm calculated coronary heart rhythm, which allowed it to detect atrial fibrillation if it occurred.7
The Fitbit Coronary heart Examine confirmed that Fitbit’s algorithm was 98.8% profitable in AFib detection, and 100% correct in figuring out regular coronary heart rhythms. The FDA granted 510(okay) clearance for the gadget.8
The AFib algorithm is obtainable to customers of the Fitbit Sense, the corporate’s first wearable with an ECG app. The gadget comprises an electrodermal exercise sensor for stress administration, and as much as six hours of battery life.
Whereas an exercise tracker isn’t an alternative to common check-ups together with your healthcare practitioner, it did reply the query, ‘Can Fitbit detect AFib?’ with a convincing sure. It is very important do not forget that exercise trackers will be a part of a holistic private well being program. The info they supply helps customers stand up and depart the sedentary way of life behind them.
One ought to all the time seek the advice of their healthcare practitioner earlier than starting any new weight loss plan or train plan.
- Smith, Craig, et al. “60 Wonderful Fitbit Statistics.” DMR, 11 July 2020, expandedramblings.com/index.php/fitbit-statistics/.
- Balbim, Guilherme M, et al. “Utilizing Fitbit as an MHealth Intervention Device to Promote Bodily Exercise: Potential Challenges and Options.” JMIR MHealth and UHealth, vol. 9, no. 3, 2021, doi:10.2196/25289.
- Vailshery, Lionel Sujay. “Wearables Shipments Worldwide 2014-2024.” Statista, 14 Jan. 2021, www.statista.com/statistics/437871/wearables-worldwide-shipments/.
- Bayoumy, Karim, et al. “Good Wearable Gadgets in Cardiovascular Care: The place We Are and How you can Transfer Ahead.” Nature Opinions Cardiology, 2021, doi:10.1038/s41569-021-00522-7.
- “Atrial Fibrillation.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Basis for Medical Training and Analysis, 20 June 2019, www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/atrial-fibrillation/symptoms-causes/syc-20350624.
- Tison, Geoffrey H., et al. “Passive Detection of Atrial Fibrillation Utilizing a Commercially Out there Smartwatch.” JAMA Cardiology, vol. 3, no. 5, 2018, p. 409., doi:10.1001/jamacardio.2018.0136.
- “Fitbit Pronounces Massive-Scale Examine to Establish Atrial Fibrillation.” Fitbit, Inc., investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/Fitbit-Pronounces-Massive-Scale-Examine-to-Establish-Atrial-Fibrillation/default.aspx.
- “Fitbit Receives Regulatory Clearance in Each america and Europe for ECG App to Establish Atrial Fibrillation (AFib).” Enterprise Wire, 14 Sept. 2020, www.businesswire.com/information/house/20200914005215/en/Fitbit-Receives-Regulatory-Clearance-in-Each-the-United-States-and-Europe-for-ECG-App-to-Establish-Atrial-Fibrillation-AFib.
Picture by Daniel Reche from Pixabay