There are a number of well being advantages of honey because of its varied organic properties. These properties embody antibacterial properties, anti-oxidative properties, and anti inflammatory properties. Right here we look at what we take into account the highest eight well being advantages of honey.
Honey, produced by Apis mellifera (honey bee), has been generally used as medication and nourishment since historic instances.1 It’s thought of one of many oldest pure treatments, having been utilized by the traditional Egyptians, Greeks, Romans and Chinese language to deal with wounds and illnesses.1, 2
In response to a number of research, honey has been used as conventional or various medication to deal with a variety of medical circumstances or ailments, which included sore throats, hiccups, thirst, eye ailments, bronchial asthma, diabetes, most cancers, wounds and ulcers.3
Composition and sorts of honey
Honey is primarily made up of sugars, with fructose and glucose making up round three-quarters of the sugar.4 It’s typically thought of a pure sweetener because of its excessive concentrations of fructose.3 Pure honey consists of proteins, amino acids, nutritional vitamins, natural acids, and minerals in addition to risky compounds, flavonoids, and polyphenols. 3, 5
These risky compounds and phenols could also be used to find out the floral or geographical origins of a selected sort of honey.4
There are round 300 sorts of honey discovered around the globe.3 Every sort of honey varies in composition, style, and color. Honey could be thought of pure, pure or natural honey. Honey’s composition, style and color is dependent upon the kind of flower, geographical space, local weather and the way it’s processed.4, 6
High 8 Well being advantages of honey
Honey has antibacterial, anti-oxidative, and anti inflammatory properties – listed here are what we take into account the highest eight well being advantages of honey.
Honey could also be efficient in treating wounds, burns, and ulcers due to its antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties.1, 3 Honey helps preserve a moist wound surroundings in addition to stimulate progress of recent tissue to advertise therapeutic of the wound. It has a excessive viscosity that allows it to behave as protecting barrier towards infections.1
Honey could assist stimulate the manufacturing of immune cells in response to infections. This results in starting the method of wound restore.1
In response to analysis, the results of manuka honey is critical in wound therapeutic and stopping progress of micro organism with out the presence of hydrogen peroxide. This can be as a result of manuka honey has excessive sugar concentrations and an acidic surroundings that’s typically not appropriate for micro organism to develop and thrive.1
Treating fungal infections
Research report pure honey will help deal with fungal infections together with yeast infections, ringworm and Athlete’s foot. This can be because of pure honey’s capacity to stop fungal progress in addition to infections brought on by micro organism.5
Honey can be utilized to assist deal with or handle problems affecting the gastrointestinal tract. Research report that honey can deal with infections comparable to gastritis in addition to peptic ulcers.1, 5 This can be as a result of honey helps forestall the micro organism from attaching to the intestinal wall by probably both coating the micro organism with honey or by honey altering traits that impacts the micro organism’s interplay with the host cells.5
Honey might be able to restore broken intestinal lining in addition to assist in rising new tissues.1, 5 It could actually assist decrease the period of diarrhea brought on by bacterial an infection and be used as a part of an oral rehydration remedy. Throughout rehydration, honey can allow the physique to take up potassium and water with out growing the uptake of sodium.5
Reduces danger of coronary heart or heart problems
Honey is taken into account a wealthy supply of antioxidants comparable to flavonoids, vitamin C and phenols.3 Analysis research recommend that honey is linked to decreased danger of coronary heart or cardiovascular ailments due to the presence of those antioxidants.7 In response to research, buckwheat honey can doubtlessly improve the capability of antioxidants within the blood.8, 9
Antioxidants comparable to flavonoids will help decrease the chance of coronary coronary heart illness and stroke. That is performed by serving to the arteries to dilate, which permits enough blood move to the center. The antioxidants additionally inhibit platelets from forming blood clots in addition to forestall LDL ldl cholesterol (often called dangerous ldl cholesterol) from oxidizing.3, 7
Lowers blood strain
Analysis signifies that honey can doubtlessly cut back hypertension, a danger issue for growing heart problems. A 2012 examine, revealed in Oxidative Examine and Mobile Longevity, reported that honey can doubtlessly decrease blood strain ranges in rats by relieving oxidative stress within the kidneys.10 Different research reported that quercetin, a honey polyphenol, can lower blood strain ranges in sufferers with hypertension.7
Nonetheless, extra analysis and scientific trials are wanted to evaluate the effectiveness of honey in lowering blood strain in people.
Enhance levels of cholesterol
Excessive LDL levels of cholesterol are thought of a danger issue for cardiovascular ailments comparable to atherosclerosis. Analysis research recommend that honey might be able to enhance levels of cholesterol within the physique. Some research recommend that honey’s capacity to inhibit coagulation and platelet aggregation within the blood could assist forestall the buildup of plaques within the arteries.6
In response to a 2008 examine, revealed in The Scientific World Journal, pure honey has been capable of lower complete levels of cholesterol, LDL levels of cholesterol and fasting blood glucose ranges in obese and overweight sufferers. The findings additionally report that honey elevated HDL ldl cholesterol (often called good ldl cholesterol) ranges in these sufferers. These outcomes occurred with out a rise in physique weight.11
Honey has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti inflammatory properties, making it efficient towards infections.3 Honey could also be efficient towards influenza and rubella viruses.12 In response to some research, sure sorts of honey comparable to manuka honey and clover honey could also be efficient towards the varicella zoster virus.4
Honey can doubtlessly assist kids handle coughs from bacterial or viral infections affecting the respiratory system. In a 2018 examine revealed within the Cochrane Database System Evaluation, honey was reported to be more practical in managing cough signs than most traditional drugs.12 The examine additionally discovered that honey managed to lower the period of the coughs higher than the opposite drugs.
Different research reported that honey not solely improved cough signs but in addition sleep high quality at night time in kids with higher respiratory tract infections.13, 14 It’s typically not really useful to offer honey to kids youthful than one 12 months previous. It’s because infants have poor immunity towards micro organism, which can be present in honey.12
A typical treatment for treating sore throat is by taking honey in heat water or milk. Honey can be utilized to deal with a chilly by mixing it with heat milk, lemon juice or radish juice.15
Oral well being
Honey could also be used within the remedy of a number of oral ailments together with periodontitis (gum illness) and gingivitis. It could actually assist forestall dental plaques, irritation of the oral mucus membranes and ulcers from forming within the mouth. Honey’s anti-inflammatory properties allow it to restore broken cells or tissue within the mouth.2
Gingivitis could be managed by gargling honey with water or one other liquid.15 A 2018 examine, revealed in Indian Society Periodontology, discovered that mouthwashes primarily based on manuka honey and uncooked honey could be efficient in lowering dental plaques and gingivitis.16
Extra analysis is required to evaluate the various well being advantages of honey. It’s best to communicate with a physician or healthcare skilled relating to remedies to your medical situation and whether or not you should use honey or not.
- Mandal MD, Mandal S. Honey: its medicinal property and antibacterial exercise. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2011;1(2):154-160. doi:10.1016/S2221-1691(11)60016-6
- Pasupuleti VR, Sammugam L, Ramesh N, Gan SH. Honey, Propolis, and Royal Jelly: A Complete Evaluation of Their Organic Actions and Well being Advantages. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2017;2017:1259510. doi:10.1155/2017/1259510
- Samarghandian S, Farkhondeh T, Samini F. Honey and Well being: A Evaluation of Current Medical Analysis. Pharmacognosy Res. 2017;9(2):121-127. doi:10.4103/0974-8490.204647
- Miguel MG, Antunes MD, Faleiro ML. Honey as a Complementary Drugs. Integr Med Insights. 2017;12:1178633717702869. Printed 2017 Apr 24. doi:10.1177/1178633717702869
- Eteraf-Oskouei T, Najafi M. Conventional and fashionable makes use of of pure honey in human ailments: a overview. Iran J Fundamental Med Sci. 2013;16(6):731-742.
- Cianciosi D, Forbes-Hernández TY, Afrin S, et al. Phenolic Compounds in Honey and Their Related Well being Advantages: A Evaluation. Molecules. 2018;23(9):2322. Printed 2018 Sep 11. doi:10.3390/molecules23092322
- Khalil MI, Sulaiman SA. The potential position of honey and its polyphenols in stopping coronary heart ailments: a overview. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2010;7(4):315-321. doi:10.4314/ajtcam.v7i4.56693
- Gheldof N, Wang XH, Engeseth NJ. Buckwheat honey will increase serum antioxidant capability in people. J Agric Meals Chem. 2003 Feb 26;51(5):1500-5. doi: 10.1021/jf025897t. PMID: 12590505.
- Schramm DD, Karim M, Schrader HR, Holt RR, Cardetti M, Eager CL. Honey with excessive ranges of antioxidants can present safety to wholesome human topics. J Agric Meals Chem. 2003 Mar 12;51(6):1732-5. doi: 10.1021/jf025928k. PMID: 12617614.
- Erejuwa OO, Sulaiman SA, Ab Wahab MS, Sirajudeen KN, Salleh S, Gurtu S. Honey supplementation in spontaneously hypertensive rats elicits antihypertensive impact through amelioration of renal oxidative stress. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2012;2012:374037. doi:10.1155/2012/374037
- Yaghoobi N, Al-Waili N, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, et al. Pure honey and cardiovascular danger components; results on blood glucose, ldl cholesterol, triacylglycerole, CRP, and physique weight in contrast with sucrose. ScientificWorldJournal. 2008;8:463-469. Printed 2008 Apr 20. doi:10.1100/tsw.2008.64
- Oduwole O, Udoh EE, Oyo-Ita A, Meremikwu MM. Honey for acute cough in kids. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018;4(4):CD007094. Printed 2018 Apr 10. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD007094.pub5
- Paul IM, Beiler J, McMonagle A, Shaffer ML, Duda L, Berlin CM Jr. Impact of honey, dextromethorphan, and no remedy on nocturnal cough and sleep high quality for coughing kids and their dad and mom. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007 Dec;161(12):1140-6. doi: 10.1001/archpedi.161.12.1140. PMID: 18056558.
- Shadkam MN, Mozaffari-Khosravi H, Mozayan MR. A comparability of the impact of honey, dextromethorphan, and diphenhydramine on nightly cough and sleep high quality in kids and their dad and mom. J Altern Complement Med. 2010 Jul;16(7):787-93. doi: 10.1089/acm.2009.0311. PMID: 20618098.
- Kumar, Ok.R., Bhowmik, D., Chiranjib, Biswajit, Ch, M., & Irã (2010). Medicinal makes use of and well being advantages of honey: an summary. Journal of chemical and pharmaceutical analysis, 2, 385-395.
- Singhal R, Siddibhavi M, Sankeshwari R, Patil P, Jalihal S, Ankola A. Effectiveness of three mouthwashes – Manuka honey, Uncooked honey, and Chlorhexidine on plaque and gingival scores of 12-15-year-old college kids: A randomized managed discipline trial. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2018;22(1):34-39. doi:10.4103/jisp.jisp_356_17
- Picture by Dagny Walter from Pixabay